Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Macro Beauty

I have a special place where I stash extra odds and ends of cash that come my way, in order to eventually buy the totally unnecessary, but wonderfully cool, camera equipment or digital software that I want. Today, I splurged on a macro lens from Nikon. I am planning a hike with my husband and some friends, into a beautiful area of wildflowers near Mt. Rainier this weekend, and while I imagine most of the pictures I take will be of the vast fields of flowers in this particular area, I am always more drawn to the beauty in the details of individual plants and insects.
I actually started out to the camera store in search of a polarizing filter which will be a necessity for good exposures of the mountain, sky and fields of flowers, but it turns out that the lens I have been eyeing was sitting right there waiting for me at a price I could afford! How could I not buy it?
Anyway, I tried it out in the backyard while my granddaughter was napping and I think it will be lots of fun this weekend!
I love the fluffy details in the yellow 'mini-flowers' and the feathery pink center! Of course, since I am still working on black and white photos, I played a bit with this one that way too.
I think this version shows off the beautiful texture even more! I am not sure which one I like better.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! And good for you! I'm glad you bought a nice gift for yourself. We should all do that from time to time. Can't wait to see the Rainier pictures. By the way, what kind of flower is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Krissy! This is a zinnia! I am excited about the Mt. Rainier hike. We are headed to a place called Grand Park. http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Grand-Park-through-the-back-door-the-easy-way-to-1050802.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete